Thursday, September 20, 2012

Deep Secrets



I did this show at Uplands in 2003. This is the only photo I have, I think Jarrod took it. 

These drawings are vinyl on water colour paper. There were four of them in the show. They were really hard to do, because I had this big roll of heavy paper, which I cut into  large sheets, but the paper desperately wanted  to stay rolled. I had to put all my books and boxes and hammers and any heavy things I had to hand on the ends to keep them flat enough so I could apply the vinyl. Also, if I made a mistake with the placement and had to pull the vinyl up it tore the surface of the paper, so it was stressful to do. I was pregnant with Charlie at the time, and the huge stomach contributed a lot to the difficulty.

One of these got sold, but because the paper never really flattened out, the vinyl ended up pressing against the perspex of the frame, leading to a bad plastic + plastic encounter. I had to make another one for the collector, which I dreaded, but by that stage I wasn't pregnant any more so it was quite easy. All the other ones got wrecked in the frames too, but I didn't bother remaking them.

The moral of this story is...? I don't know.



No comments:

Post a Comment