Friday, September 14, 2012

Julia

This was a show above the Carlton Hotel, in Bourke St. Mark Feary was the curator. There was me, Damiano Bertoli, Rob McHaffie, Matt Griffin, James Lynch, Tony Garifilakis, Sue Dodd, Pat Foster and Jen Berean. It was February, 2007.

Each artist got a room in what had recently been a  boarding house. The spaces were really dirty. I had planned to clean mine up, do a floor/wall drawing and hang a cardboard sculpture from the ceiling, basically, my usual work, but after a few hours in there, I felt silly about it. It  felt like the art was sitting very precariously on top of the unhappiness of the space.  The idea of writing my name on the door in children's painted wooden letters just came to me as a way to represent the absurdity and bravery of trying to  name a space your own  in that situation.

I put the bits of cardboard and the rolls of vinyl in the cupboard.
Some people told me they'd looked for my work but it had been stolen. Not sure if they were joking or not. Other people thought I had battered the walls and smashed up sink myself as part of the work.
















James Lynch's work "Chinese Laundry' was a particular highlight for me. So was Rob McHaffie's "Machine not working" which now hangs above my computer. 











I'm not sure who took the photos - let me know if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment